Tuesday, June 8, 2010

my "happy" baby

by "happy", i mean not at all.

something happened to my sweet, precious boy. in the last few days he has turned into finley, the meanie monster baby. he cries. all day. he fusses before, during, and after nursing. he cries laying down. sitting in the bouncer. playing on the farm mat. resting on my lap. he cries when he's in his carseat, unless we're driving on the highway or walking quickly in the stroller. about the only time he doesn't cry is during the few moments i am walking him around (and he enjoys it) or if he's in the moby. in fact, he cried today while he was sleeping. and i'm talking sobbing. screaming, choking, wailing. i've tried everything but baby tylenol. well, i haven't tried alcohol. (not for finn. for me? yes. oh yes.)

top this with a massive tank in my breastmilk supply (part of the issue?) and i feel quite down. i don't know what happened. i had oversupply, forceful letdown, plenty of milk to pump before and after a feeding...and now i've got a few measly ounces from the entire day! it's frustrating and i'm so nervous i won't make more milk. i'm drinking mother's milk tea and pumping as often as i can and i hope i can get back to where i was. oh the days of cursing my engorged, leaking breasts. the grass. it's greener over there.

and while we're on the topic of breastfeeding. you all are liars!! i am not skinny. i think i've even gained weight in the last week. pounds are not melting away as i struggle to feed my baby. so yes, sign me up for a table, pity party for one. (make that two. poor mr.h3b has to deal with finn crying and me complaining about finn crying.)


if he wasn't this cute, i'd leave him outside in a basket that says free to a good home. (i'm kidding. but it's been a rough few days. i still love him, crying and all.)

7 comments:

In With the Light said...

I totally understand! Logan has days like that a he chose for last night from 1-4am to do that and here I am, 6:30am and I have to leave for work soon. Sooo tired! Anyway, your milk supply could be the reason why he is so fussy but I did talk to my pedi about the inconsolable crying and she said sometimes it is for no reason and other times the very early stages of teething. I have given Logan some Tylenol to take the edge off and it really helps!! Don't be afraid to do that because there is obviously something bothering him and he can't tell you what it is. Hang in there, I know I am!

Megan said...

You could try fenugreek for the breast milk too. I think it's in the mother's milk tea, but it is also sold in pills.

Mrs.Beaver said...

I'm so sorry- those days sound like no fun at all!! We had a very fussy, screaming baby yesterday but luckily it was due to shots and she calmed down once the tylenol helped relieve some soreness... I can't imagine several days in a row like that. I agree that maybe he is upset about your milk supply- I hope that it improves with the tea soon!!

Jen said...

I'm sorry Alauna. Low milk supply is so stressful - but it sounds like you're doing the right thing...pump/drink tea/nurse. Your body will respond:)

I have read (not experienced) that increased exercising can decrease milk supply AND affect the taste of milk (meaning maybe Finn is not happy w/ the flavor and slowed letdown so he cries during feedings). So, since you also mentioned that you're stressing about your weight, I might gather that you've been trying to get extra workouts in? Wonder if this could play into your problem or not...

Anyhow, he's also entering the beloved 3-4 month growth spurt~one which kept us up at night for weeks. He could be just straight up hungry or sad that his milk isn't fast and tasty like he is used to.

Trying tylenol won't hurt him, call your pedi and ask what the correct dosage is for a baby of his weight, the dosing instructions on the box are always more conservative than they need to be. It's safe to try.

Don't give up...get comfy in the rocker, dim the lights, and nurse him all day if that works. He will come around, you're doing a great job!

Anonymous said...

You ladies are all so sweet! This blog is such a great way to share and support one another :) Love it.

Alauna, my friend Jill also experienced a period when her milk decreased noticeably (and I had a few days myself). The most important thing is to continue to take care of yourself, even if Mr. Finn is #1 these days.

Relax about your weight. You look great! Stressing about both weight and a decrease in milk supply will only continue the stress cycle, which is hard on your body. Make sure you're getting extra calories each day and keep up the tea and regular nursing and things will eventually return to normal. I promise ;) You'll look back on these days and wonder where the time went.

Call me if you ever need a little mommytime break :)

h3b said...

thank you all SO MUCH for the support. i'm glad i'm not alone and that others have heard about or experienced drops in milk supply only to have it ramp back up to normal again.

and no, i'm not working out. ahahaa. nope. i wish i could stop running 5 miles (if i were running at all) and have my milk return. it's hard not to stress about being overweight and the supply, but i am doing my best to nurse, pump, drink the tea, and enjoy the good times with finn. he has been a bit better and i do have some milk to offer, so i'm hoping we'll move past this stage soon.

thanks again dear friends!

Molly Darling said...

Just found your blog; love your nursery- you have a great eye for design. We're actually looking to buy the same crib you have for your son, and I have a few questions for you if you have time. I'd love it if you could contact me @ mrandmrsdarling at gmail

If not, I totally understand :)