Friday, December 3, 2010

9 months!

my once teeny, tiny newborn is now 9 months...and not a newborn, not teeny tiny anymore! he has become such a little man! he is full on crawling everywhere now, can pull to stand on anything, got his first tooth (officially showing today), seems to say a variation of "mama" to/at me and "mo" (more, which is what we say at mealtime), feeds himself puffs, cheese, and small foods using his hands, and is in a constant state of happy-sad-happy-sad.

his 9 month appointment was overall good - he is healthy and developmentally on track. our only problem is his size. he's almost 29 inches long and has a big noggin, but he's still pretty small at only 17 pounds. while this isn't too concerning, he continues to drop on the charts and is now in the fifth percentile. i wouldn't worry about growth charts in general but rather than just being small, he drops below a curve at each visit rather than following one. in 3 months he gained less than 2 lbs.

to add insult to injury, my supply has drastically decreased to the point of struggle and fristration on both our parts. finn is a lazy nurser who never took to sucking for comfort - if there's no food freely flowing, he's done. he doesn't take fondly to being forced, so our nursing sessions (4-5 a day) keep getting shorter as i have less and less milk. i've been pumping to try and increase (in addition to fenugreek and mother's milk tea), but i went from getting 5 ounces each time, to 3 ounces...to now just barely an ounce. because of this low supply, finn's pedi is concerned that he may only be getting 12 ounces a day or less and he should be near 16 to 18 oz. i don't have a freezer stash, so she strongly advised supplementing with formula.

i struggled for a few hours after hearing that and was almost in tears over what i see as failure on my part to provide enough food to keep my child at a healthy weight. but i know what's best for him is separate from my emotions and i decided to start earth's best organic formula. right now he gets a bottle of 3-4 ounces one time a day. i will still breastfeed, if i can, until at least a year. but if i don't have enough milk and can't switch to cow's milk, then i will continue to supplement. i feel like a burden has been lifted because i can feed him formula if i can't pump milk. i also feel horrible because i can't pump any milk. i know formula isn't bad, but i wanted to ebf for a year. it was a goal that i couldn't reach and it's hard to come to terms with it.

i try to tell myself that some babies self wean at this age. i had my first post partum period (18 months without) which could affect my supply. i was sick twice in the fall. finn refuses to nurse sometimes and he pushes away when my let down doesn't happen within the first minute or two. so many factors that are working to end this chapter of our lives. he won't nurse forever and i don't want him to, of course. but i'm not ready to be done and i'm not sure what the next week will be like, let alone the next three months.

so, there's that. but, he loves the formula (way to kick me when i'm down!) and we are ok. i have to focus on the good things and not worry about his weight as if it's a direct reflection of my abilities as a mother. because otherwise, we're doing good. i haven't set him in the yard with a for sale sign despite his incessant whining/crying and he rewards me for keeping him by giving me "kisses", laughing at the silliest things, and becoming an individual person with wants and needs beyond survival mode. and maybe formula will be a blessing disguise in some way. we'll see.

4 comments:

Jen said...

9 months is such a busy time for them. I read most babies will wean between 8 and 14 months just because of the simple fact that they're too busy to sit still and have a good nursing. He is a really beautiful healthy guy, and you made that happen so don't sweat it.
Sounds like you're doing the right thing for him, even though it's hard. You can still have that once or twice a day nursing, your body will let you, don't let go of it:) I am there right now, where on the weekdays we're lucky to have 2 sessions. I am sad it's only twice, but I'm so happy we are hanging on.
Take Care:)

Jen said...

Sorry to be an excessive commenter here, but I just want to be supprotive:)
You know what, I thought about this some more and wanted to add that you should remember that those growth charts are based on average measurements of formula-fed children, who are on average, 'fatter' than strictly breast-fed babies. So try not to let that bear too much weight in your comparing Finn against the charts. And, I think that 4-5 nursings a day sounds good for his age, and don't think it is unusual that you're unable to pump more than an ounce. You body is probably perfectly regulated to what he needs. Your baby knows what he needs, and demands it in the nursings:)
Eli has always been 'low' weight on the charts but normal elsewhere, and for a while there wasn't keeping to a curve (I believe when he also was 9 months) but has had growth spurts since then and he is an average sized healthy little guy. We, too, received a lot of scrutiny from the pediatrician and urging to do something to make him conform to the average, but I have chosen to go my own way on that because I don't believe he should be compared to average - he has received only breastmilk unlike most of his counterparts.
Just wanted you to know that we've been given the same recommendations and worries as you have with Finn, so no matter what you do, I am sure it will turn out great.

Mrs.Beaver said...

I'm sorry you're having some nursing issues, I know how upsetting it can be :( Riley has been sick and she refused to nurse the other day, but then took a bottle (which she never does) and I cried hysterically the entire time. I've been pumping like crazy to keep my supply up and if I only get one or two ounces it is so stressful! I just wanted to let you know I understand how you feel and hope things improve. You should not feel bad at all for giving formula, because he is still getting BM and has gotten so much benefit from it already. You are doing what is best for him, but I'm sorry that it is so difficult to go through. At least he is thriving and is so loving, baby "kisses" are the best thing ever!

craftingmaven said...

Hi!
I too had a big drop in supply around 9 months. I remember pumping at work happily one day getting 5 or 6 oz and the next day literally getting 1oz. It can go down that fast in a day!? Sadly, it didn't go back as quickly, but it did go back up! I cut out caffiene, made sure I was taking in enough calories, drinking plenty of water, getting plenty of sleep...drinking mother's milk tea, too. :)
Eventually, it went back up. And, Jen's right--you'll make what the baby needs, but supplementing with formula is DEFINATELY not a reflection on you as a mother. Formula is not a monster. :) And, he's still getting SOME breastmilk, so he's still getting the benefits of it. Even some is better than none, remember that.
Good luck!